Come join our global team of dedicated professionals who through their extraordinary efforts demonstrate every day their commitment to our mission of improving the lives of patients. At Orthofix our culture is built around Integrity and the core beliefs we live by: Exceed Expectations, Work Together, Be Respectful, Get Lean and Have Fun! As an Orthofix employee, you will become an integral part of our culture by continually demonstrating the highest level of integrity and our beliefs while making an impact to our vision \"To be a highly respected global orthopedic and spine company that delivers exceptional value to our patients, customers, team members, partners and shareholders.\"
Tool Maker - Spine Fixation
How you'll make a difference?
The Customs Tool Maker is responsible for producing and or modifying Custom medical instruments and implants for use in surgery or other related devices as an integral member of the Custom Engineering department. The Customs Tool Maker is expected to provide material, design, and manufacturability feedback to the Customs Engineer. The Customs Tool Maker should provide faster fabrication times than outside supplier are able to help accelerate the company's responsiveness to its customers.
What will be your Duties and Responsibilities?
* Fabricate custom implants and instruments including ordering raw materials, tooling and purchased components, CNC programming to produce machined components, fabricating machined components, assembling as required, coordinating outside operations, and inspecting components/assemblies. All jobs must be performed in a reasonable time period with no quality issues.
* Provide material, design and manufacturability feedback to the Customs Engineer.
* Fabricate other non-implant/instrument devices as needed to support company objectives.
* Maintain model shop and equipment to a high standard by performing cleaning and maintenance.
* Comply with all Orthofix Standard Operating Procedures and Work Instructions including those mandated by the FDA.
What skills you'll need?
* Skills necessary to develop processes required for implant/instrument fabrication including identifying all operations, fixturing and associated tooling.
* Skills necessary to program machines in the most practical and efficient way possible.
* Skills necessary to fabricate implants/instruments using Model Shop machine tools (CNC Mill, CNC Lathe, CNC Wire EDM, Laser Marker, and other support equipment).
* Skills necessary to assemble fabricated components.
* Skills necessary to inspect fabricated components and assemblies.
* Skills necessary to effectively communicate material, design and manufacturability feedback to Customs Engineer.
* Skills necessary to read and understand engineering drawings including a very good understanding of GD&T.
* Good housekeeping skills.
Nonessential Skills, Experience and Qualifications (not necessary but preferred):
Physical Demands and Work Conditions:
* Ability to stand for up to ? hour (prior to sitting) during the setup and running of parts.
* Ability to reach, bend and lift and/or move up to 40 lbs.
* Requires the use of hands and arms to program at a computer, program at a machine, perform machine set-ups and operate the machines.
* Visual performance essential for job duties, safety glasses required, need to endure machining noise up to 90 decibels.
* Need to maintain alertness during the setup and operation of machine tools.
* Eyesight and hearing must be correctable to a standard level.
Orthofix complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws regarding equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment. Orthofix makes its employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by law. In addition to federal law requirements, Orthofix complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Associated topics: die, fixture, mold, melt, molten, tool, toolmaker, tool and die, tool designer, tool die